As I was having to re oil, I decided that I should take a few mm off the top of the playing edge and the place where the bottom rings go, as the rings I received were not going to accomodate the steer hide and 5mm rope I had purchased.
The green item that I used to keep little space on the knots is just a 6mm steel rod, covered in electrical tape. With extra tape at the top to stop it from falling through. The best thing about this is that I can make it whatever thickness I want with the tape. This gives me the ability to make tight knots without giving up space for the verticals rope.
Placing the hide on the flesh rings pretty straight forward. I wanted the crown ring quite high so I tightened the tightening rope as tight as I could. I went round by hand a few times before using my pulling stick and clamping the rope as I went, for my final pull before shaving the head and completing the wrap over. I actually nicked the skin with the razor somehow, but very superficial on steer hide I think.
I actually didn’t intend to have a wrap over on this drum, but once the hide was on it was just the right length for a small top ring covering and so I thought I would give it a try.
So so here it is, after a week and half of drying and a final dry pull. I am going slow on the tuning on this one. Using diamonds to tune to an accompanying drum pitch, but depending on how it tunes and gives over the next few weeks, I might try soloist. We’ll see.